Monday, 25 July 2011

FO: Phanessa Tam

This is new design (hopefully) and my latest FO:

I nearly killed my hands and wrists knitting this entire hat in a weekend from design sketches to final blocked piece, especially as the ribbing is on 2mm needles with 4ply yarn. I do like the it and it fits well. Although the photos don't show it there's a subtle butterfly motif on the sides (where the fold is in the picture) which is why it's called Phanessa which has a tangential link to the name Vanessa which is a butterfly genus.

Monday, 18 July 2011

WIP: New design

This is a new design for a wrap and is likely to become pattern support for Dodoknitz!! who provided the yarn. I've not given it a final name as yet.

This is knit in Dodo Sock which has excellent yardage and lovely stitch definition. This particular colourway is a new one I think, designed for this pattern and will hopefully be available as a kit in the future

In other news I have been baking! Himself volunteers at a local primary school as a governor and their brand new PTA ran their first ever summer fair at the weekend. This being England it rained but that didn't seem to dampen any spirits. This was my contribution to the cake stall:

35 iced fairy cakes, a chocolate/vanilla marble cake, an iced lemon loaf cake and at the back a tray of butterscotch flapjacks (I recently discovered butterscotch chips at the supermarket).

Baking for school fairs is something I remember my mum doing when I was little and she ran the parish and school cake stalls. For her it was a more military operation involving bakers delivery pallettes and several trips in an estate car so this was very lightweight.

As Himself wasn't allowed to keep any of the cakes above he's very much hoping that he won the 'guess the weight of the fruit cake' competition so keep your fingers crossed.

Saturday, 9 July 2011

FO: A Shawl Without a Name

This is my second sisterly shawl which currently lacks a name.

Yarn Yard Crannog, approx 540 yards or 100g of a 150g skein
4mm needles
4 stitch markers
Blocks to 69" wingspan x 23" neck to tip

Saturday, 2 July 2011

Audrey Progress

I posted about my Audrey cardigan a little while ago and haven't really mentioned it since but I did make quite a bit of progress before I got distracted by my new design. This is the top of the left front in the Unst lace pattern which I rather like and is incredibly quick to do. Yet to do: the rest of the back and right front, sleeves, button bands and collar. Quite a lot really but since the weather has warmed up nicely I'm less in need of a cardigan

There has also been progress on my new shawl design. When I showed it in my earlier post I'd only done 2 repeats of the pattern (and was making slow work of it) but I've done some more and here it is with 5 repeats completed and then washed and blocked so I could guestimate size and get this out for testing;

I'm rather pleased with it so far although the photo is not brilliant.

And a final update - Personal Remarks and my Waterhouse Mitts are with a tech editor which for these will be the final stage before being released. No progress on my Tortile Beaded Hat but I promise there will be over the summer.